Dr Pramod C. Thakur (’61 Mining Eng) Inducted in the West Virginia Coal Hall of Fame
Congratulations to Dr Pramod C. Thakur (’61 Mining Eng) for induction in the West Virginia Coal Hall of Fame. This is a great news for IIT(ISM) around the world. We are all very proud of his accomplishments and achievements and wish him continuous success in his future endeavors.
Dr. Pramod C Thakur is currently the president of Expert Solutions for Mine Safety, LLC in Morgantown, WV, and an Adjunct Professor at the West Virginia University. He served the coal industry for 50 years before retirement. He received a B.SC (Hons) and AISM degrees from the Indian Institute of Technology (Indian School of Mines) (1961). He joined Penn State University in 1969 for graduate studies. He graduated Suma Cum Laude in 1974 with 3 degrees, MS (Mining Engineering), MA (Math) and PH.D. (Mining Engineering). He immediately joined CONOCO, the parent company of CONSOL Energy based in Morgantown, WV. He has lived here ever since with his wife, Meera and raised two sons, Dr. Gautam C Thakur (a Neuro-Radiologist) and Dr. Anand C. Thakur (an Anesthesiologist and Pain Expert).
He began his career with Andrew Yule and Co in India designing mine ventilation for 20 coal mines (1961-1969). He worked for CONOCO/CONSOL Energy for almost 40 Years (1974-2014) before retirement. He also worked with erstwhile Murray Energy for a few years by invitation but completely retired in 2016. His life-time accomplishments are as follows:
- He chaired the Industrial Advisory Committee for the Generic Center for dust control based at WVU and Penn State Universities (1984-96).
- Governor Underwood of WV made him a commissioner for writing the best diesel regulations for coal mines. Working with industry and Labor representatives the task was accomplished and diesel engines began to replace trolley wire haulage improving coal mine safety. He served on the Committee for 15 years.
- Working with mainly CONOCO, he developed four degasification techniques for Mine Degasification. These techniques are in use in USA as well as many countries overseas. It minimized the risk of mine explosions and vastly improved coal productivity from 14 to 40 tons/man-day in some mines.
- He has been awarded the Hartmann and Howard Eavenson Award for excellent work in Mine Ventilation and mine Health and Safety by SME.
- Pittsburgh Coal Mining Institute awarded him Donald Kingery Award for mine degasification work.
Dr. Thakur condensed all his works into 4 books. He uses Advanced Coalbed Reservoir and Production Engineering (2016) and Advanced Mine Ventilation (2018) to teach graduate courses.
Dr. Thakur condensed all his works into 4 books. He uses Advanced Coalbed Reservoir and Production Engineering (2016) and Advanced Mine Ventilation (2018) to teach graduate courses. WV Coal Mining Institute has now inducted him into WV Coal Hall of Fame.